When it comes to building your business, how do you spend your time? Are you busy or productive every day? As a Small Business Owner, you might believe that as long as you are doing something you are contributing the progress, growth, and advancement of your business right? Well... Not always. Much of what we do every day is at best non-profitable but more often than not it cost us more than we realize in time, effort, brand value, and sometimes money.
Praise the Lord for giving us examples in His word to help us build a foundation for business success. In this article, we are going to example the habits of the Proverbs 31 Woman as well as how we can follow her example in this modern world.
- "She finds wool and flax and busily spins it" v 13: When was the last time you searched for high-quality material for your products or took time to educate yourself on new subjects then immediately applied it to your product or business? If you are like most Entrepreneurs you've probably attended a dozen trainings this year but only implemented about 5%-10% of what you've learned? Why do we do this? We spend so much time accumulating information and next to no time applying it. I challenge you to break that habit now. For it is not the knowledge that gives us power. But the application of that knowledge.
- "She gets up before dawn... and plans the day's work for her servant girls" v 15: Are you addicted to sleep? Is your sleep to work ration off balanced? Not only did God's businesswoman get up early she also planned her day and the day of those who helped her. How many times have you started your morning with no clear action plan? or have had employees or interns that just kind of winged it the whole day? If we are going to become profitable Christain Entrepreneurs we need to start our day early, and plan it out by the leading of the Holy Spirit just as our example here. Jesus did the same thing (see Mark 1:35-38) and He is the best example we could ever have.
- "She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard" v 16: In our desperation to make money many Small Business Owners tend to jump at any "opportunity" that may come their way. Only to experience lost and frustration in the long run. God's businesswoman shows us that we must inspect that which are planning to invest in and only once we find it profitable buy into it; work it, and grow.
- "She makes sure her dealings are profitable"v 18: This point directly corresponds with the point previously mentioned. I encourage you to take a long hard look at your business model, operations, marketing plans, network/networking approach, etc and if they have proven to be unprofitable get rid of them, stop what you are doing, and seek the Lord for direction and your next step. He has promised to show us what path to take. (see Proverbs 3:5-6)
- "She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy" v 20: If you are just starting out this can be a challenge. Many times we think "I don't even have enough for myself, I certainly don't have enough to give." But the Bible is clear to on giving. There is no getting around it. Little can become much in the Hands of our almighty God. And as Business Owners we can give in a plethora of different ways. But don't be fooled, if you want abundance your must give abundantly. (see 2 Corinthians 9:6-11)
Our habits and the way we spend our time reflect our beliefs, which ultimately creates the world in which we live in. If we want more out of life simply thinking it is just not going to cut it. But there is so much to do, so much to consider, where do we start? Well, it all starts with a plan. For the Bible says we are to write our vision and make it plain. (see Habakkuk 2:2) If you need help with this super important but frequently overlooked step in your process to building a better, more profitable, and efficient business, I would love for you to schedule a FREE 1-hour planning session with me. Together we can establish a foundation for business success in 2016... Like a BOSS